Reading books is a passion found in many people, but most cannot pursue it due to other pressing matters taking their time. Who has the time to read for a few days at a time? Not me, nor anyone I know. Knowledge is a weapon that is sheathed for people who cannot read what someone brighter than they wrote. So in this blog I have discussed various techniques to read novels faster then others.
Let us look at some ways to increase the speed at which we read. These are good techniques to try to increase the odds of completing the book that has been sitting on your shelf collecting dust for the past few years, and you will be churning out books in no time after trying these tips:
- Removing distractions rarely helps a person gain the ability to read fast, but it is a good start. First, start by creating a working environment with limited distractions. This helps the brain to concentrate on the words that you are reading and will help you to read novel faster.
- Switch on the lights in the room in which you are planning to read. Bright lights help lessen the strain on your eyes when reading by illuminating the words being read.
- Control the urge to check your phone: A single text might derail all the focus that was gathered till then.
- Read for yourself and never for the benefit of others, it might seem fun to read just because the girl you are trying to date is reading it, but it is not always to read faster when you just aren’t interested in reading it.
- Try imagining the words coming to life while reading and immerse yourself in the story. Assign faces to characters and imagine them as someone you personally know, which will help you want to finish the story quickly and help you to read novel faster.
Some More Techniques
- Set timings for reading. This helps in keeping you on schedule; you can always extend the time when the story gets interesting or if you cannot put it down.
- Stop reading when you strain your eyes. If you continue reading, it will leave you frustrated and unable to concentrate, which destroys the reading experience.
- Stimulate your other senses when reading: this helps in increasing concentration and the willpower to keep on reading.
- In the case that you cannot read fast, downloading the audiobook version of the book and playing it simultaneously while you read it will help in increasing your vocabulary, which in turn helps increase your reading speed.
- If hard copies of books limit your speed, consider investing in an e-book reader and reading at a pace at which you are comfortable.
Many consider reading as a chore because of the need to concentrate, but it need not be if we start enjoying the little things in life. Create a routine of reading more and more to introduce our mind to the wonders of exploring the minds of another person. A book helps you know how another person deals with situations that they are currently facing, which may provide insights into how it can help you.
Some Tips From My Side
Consider this post a wakeup call and focus on completing that book you desperately crave to complete, and that too in record speed. Focus on the book, and the speed will increase as well. Enjoy the pleasures of reading and transfer your mind to a magical world. Have fun and enjoy.